Wondering if using bookkeeping software or spreadsheets for your handmade or creative business bookkeeping is a better choice?
Well, you aren’t alone – it’s a tough question and doing the research makes it an even tougher decision.
And, let’s face it, I KNOW that most handmade or creative business owners DETEST doing their books and will make every excuse in the world to avoid the dreadful data entry required to keep their financial information under control.
Whether you use bookkeeping software or spreadsheets for your handmade business bookkeeping system, that system must be:
- Flexible – meaning it’s something that you will continue to use as your business grows
- Easy to use – something that you don’t have to spend a lot of time fussing with
- Meet your needs – you know, track at lest 99% of the things you need/want to track
- Grow with your business – while you might not need a specific functionality today, you can’t predict the future
- Take the least amount of time to use – so you can get back to doing what you love
- Allow for the least amount of data entry errors – that’s caused by having to enter the same numbers in multiple spreadsheets
- But, none of this is going to work without YOU!
You must make a commitment to yourself and your business to do your books at least once a week OR you will be tempted to throw everything into a box where it will pile up and you’ll have a big mess on your hands that you won’t like.
Which should I choose – Software or Spreadsheets for my handmade or creative business bookkeeping?