Wondering if using bookkeeping software or spreadsheets for your handmade or creative business bookkeeping is a better choice?
Well, you aren’t alone – it’s a tough question and doing the research makes it an even tougher decision.
And, let’s face it, I KNOW that most handmade or creative business owners DETEST doing their books and will make every excuse in the world to avoid the dreadful data entry required to keep their financial information under control.
Whether you use bookkeeping software or spreadsheets for your handmade business bookkeeping system, that system must be:
- Flexible – meaning it’s something that you will continue to use as your business grows
- Easy to use – something that you don’t have to spend a lot of time fussing with
- Meet your needs – you know, track at lest 99% of the things you need/want to track
- Grow with your business – while you might not need a specific functionality today, you can’t predict the future
- Take the least amount of time to use – so you can get back to doing what you love
- Allow for the least amount of data entry errors – that’s caused by having to enter the same numbers in multiple spreadsheets
- But, none of this is going to work without YOU!
You must make a commitment to yourself and your business to do your books at least once a week OR you will be tempted to throw everything into a box where it will pile up and you’ll have a big mess on your hands that you won’t like.
Which should I choose – Software or Spreadsheets for my handmade or creative business bookkeeping?
Well, I can’t answer that for you, it’s a personal choice.
But, let’s do a little comparison shall we. We’ll do some Pro’s & Cons for using software or spreadsheets for your handmade or creative business bookkeeping tasks.
First, let’s look at spreadsheets.
I’m starting with spreadsheets because that’s what the “so-called experts” in the handmade or creative business world all seem to recommend. I’m betting that most of them actually use software, even though they tell YOU that spreadsheets are the way to go – so they can SELL you a bookkeeping spreadsheet that they designed – but don’t use anymore!
The Pro’s of using spreadsheets:
The Con’s of using spreadsheets:
Now, bookkeeping software.
Now, you’re probably wondering if I’m trying to sell you software! No, not really. I’m just providing you with information so YOU CAN MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION!
I’ve used spreadsheets and I’ve used those OLD, HUGE paper ledger sheets that would take up the entire top of your desk and I know that software can make bookkeeping for your handmade or creative business easier, faster, and perhaps even less distasteful.
The Pro’s of using software:
The Con’s of using software:
Have I given you something to think about? I hope so.
Until next time – happy creativity!