Are the bookkeeping needs for your handmade business simple or complex? Now, that I have you thinking about this – take this quiz to find out, it should take less than 10 minutes!
I know everyone wants a bookkeeping system that’s simple and easy to use. But sometimes it’s just not possible because YOU are doing too many things.
Has anyone EVER asked you if your bookkeeping needs were simple or complex? Have you ever stopped to even ask yourself or wonder whether they are?
I’m betting that no one has ever asked you this question.
Take this free quiz to find out if the bookkeeping needs for your handmade or creative business are simple or complex.
It could answer a lot of questions. Like why you:
- hate doing your bookkeeping (YES, there might be a reason other than you don’t like doing it!)
- struggle with your current system
- feel like you may be missing a lot of information
- have to create additional spreadsheets to keep track of things
So, let me tell you a couple of things I’ve learned in the last 30+ years……
Most CPA’s and tax preparer’s will never ask you if your bookkeeping needs are simple or complex – they EXPECT you to KNOW!
Seriously, has your CPA or tax preparer ever asked you about the details of your business? I bet they haven’t.
The people that create handmade business bookkeeping spreadsheet systems – create them based on what THEY think you might be or should be tracking. And, they turn right around and tell you that they use software for their business needs!
Usually, they lock the spreadsheet system so you can’t add or remove categories or change anything. Tell me – what good is a system you can’t modify to meet your needs?
So, why am I asking you?
As a career bookkeeper, I look at things differently.
I know that EVERY business is unique and that no two handmade or creative business owners want or need to track the exact same things! As a:
- maker, you might need to track yarn support – while another may not.
- pattern designer, you might sell your finished samples – while another gifts them or donates them to charity.
- designer, you might have a yarn stash that you need to track as inventory – while another may ONLY purchase the yarn for a specific design
- business, you might sell in multiple places – while another may only sell locally
As both a handmade business owner and a bookkeeper, I know that there are a lot of moving parts that you have to track. And I know enough to know better than assume that each of you will want or need to track the exact same things!
So, go ahead – what are you waiting for……take this quiz to find out if your bookkeeping needs are simple or complex. It should take you less than 10 minutes!