Is tracking the cost of your handmade items have you frazzled? Need a solution? I have one for you – a FREE Project Costs & Pricing Worksheet.
As handmade business owners tracking the costs of our finished items is every bit as important as keeping tack of ALL the costs to run our business.
- rely on memory when it comes to tracking the costs of your finished handmade items?
- have dozens of sticky notes with numbers all over them that you look at later and wonder “what the heck is this for”?
- feel frustrated and wonder if you REALLY do have all of the costs included?
- Just end up guessing the costs?
If tracking costs of handmade items is leaving you feeling frazzled….
All you really need is a something to help you out, do the math for you, take the guesswork out of pricing, and help you to feel organized!
A solution to help you take the guesswork out of tracking the cost of your handmade items…
Introducing the Project Costs & Pricing Worksheet! I created the Project Pricing Worksheet a couple of years ago when I started my own handmade business (Fanciful Things, LLC) to help me keep track of all the costs involved with making amigurumi (yarns I used, how many yards I used, what size eyes, etc.) but I also wanted more information as well. I wanted to be able to pick up either a single sheet of paper or to look at a spreadsheet and have complete details about the amigurumi project for future reference – I wanted everything all in one place:
- project information – pattern name, who designed it, where I downloaded it from, the yarns I used
- how many yards of what color yarn I used for each piece of the amigurumi (head, arms, legs, etc.)
- how many total yards of each color I used
- the price per yard
- the cost of the yarn I used
- costs for eyes, felt, ribbon, false eyelashes…..EVERYTHING (afterall I had spent the money on the supplies and need to recapture those costs)
- how much time it took me to make the finished item
- I also wanted to have a list of the cost of the yarns I normally used – and I didn’t want to have to go somewhere else to find pricing
- BUT, most of all – I wanted something that would do the math for me so I didn’t have to go find my calculator and add everything all up
Excel was a perfect tool to use to design the Project Pricing Worksheet.
It starts with 3 pretty simple looking sections – one for tracking yardages and supplies, another for tracking time, and one to track your Inventory/Cost of Materials.
Once you have entered all the pricing of your favorite inventory/materials you just need to print out several blank copies of the other two pages, put them on a clipboard and start keeping track. Once you’ve finished the project you open the spreadsheet, make a copy of the blank “master spreadsheet” and start transferring all the information to it. As you enter yardages and costs – the spreadsheet starts doing all the math for you – and, you have a permanent record of the cost of each item that you make stored conveniently on your computer.
Want to see the Project Pricing Worksheet in action? Watch this YouTube video.
Want your own copy of the Project Costs & Pricing Worksheet and start tracking the costs of your handmade items with ease?
To get your own copy of the Project Pricing Worksheet, simply subscribe to our newsletter. I’ll give it to you as a subscriber “thank you”. Right now this is the ONLY way that you can get your copy for free.
How are you currently tracking costs of your handmade items?