Are you REALLY ready to run a handmade or creative biz? Chances are you’ve read about how easy it is to become your own boss and have spent more hours than you care to admit fantasizing about becoming a handmade or creative biz owner – but, have you stopped to ask yourself if you’re REALLY ready?
- you have a great idea for a super cool new line of products
- or, you’re a designer but not quite sure how to turn those skills into a tangible business
- maybe, you’re already making handmade items for friends and you want to turn this into a profitable biz
But, in reality you either have a full-time day job or small children – or both.
You’ve read all the hype about:
- how easy it is to become your own boss
- the popularity of traditional skills and handmade products
- and, that consumers are keener than ever about buying lovingly made unique items – instead of mass-produced imported stuff
- plus, there are so many tools out there that you don’t even need your own website to start selling online
I get it. There’s NOTHING more exciting than having someone hand over their cash for something you’ve made or designed.
Before you get caught up in the hype and excitement – you need to ask yourself a LOT of questions ……
The first thing you need to stop and think about is – what are your goals?
- earn a little extra income by selling a few items in your spare time
- or, to turn your creative ideas into a full-time biz
Then there’s all the OTHER stuff:
- How will you find or make the time to start and run a handmade or creative biz?
- Do you have a business name in mind?
- Where will you work from?
- What will you make?
- Who will you sell to?
- Will you launch your own website and online store? Or, will you start something like an Etsy store or Ravelry shop?
- What about craft fairs?
- How about all the legal stuff – including registering your biz with Federal and State agencies?
- Let’s not forget about bookkeeping – if your going to run a biz you need to keep detailed records.
- What about marketing and social media?
- How much money do you need to start your biz?
There is just SO much to consider! Watch the replay of “10 things EVERY handmade or creative biz owner should know!“
Now, I’m NOT saying that running a handmade or creative biz is impossible! Far from it. What I am saying is that it’s NOT as easy as others make it sound!.
With passion, planning, organization, hard work, determination and educating yourself – your creative dreams could come true.
Wishing you success!