A behind the scenes look @ yarnybookkeeper.com. What goes on and some new offerings that will appear in the very near future.
This is a very different type of blog post – in fact it’s not one of my normal blog posts at all.
It’s more of a behind the scenes glance at what’s going on here at yarnybookkeeper.com and my life in general. So, welcome to my little piece of the world 🙂
To say I’m busy — might just be the biggest understatement I’ve ever made.
I’ll let you judge for yourself when you’re finished reading this post LOL.
As you may or may not know, I still have another business. Along with my husband, (Ben) we write, sell & support software add-ons for QuickBooks desktop for the construction industry. That business (Sunburst Software Solutions, Inc.) turns 19 years old in August.
For the last 3 years, my husband and I each work half days – every day. I take the morning shift (8-12) and he takes the afternoon shift (1 to 5). Occasionally, there are weeks where we both are putting in 40 hour weeks, it all depends on what’s going on in the world of construction compliance.
Working 1/2 days in Sunburst, allows me to pursue other long neglected interests such as:
- Gardening, crafting, canning, and just spending time in my yard.
- Helping my neighbor with her commercial greenhouse from around the beginning of February through the middle to end of June. I love playing in the dirt and gardening. What better thing to do than be in a super warm greenhouse (in shorts & a tank top) surrounded by little lovely growing plants when there is 4 or more feet of snow outside? I’m usually there 20 or so hours a week and sometimes weekends.
- Then again between mid-November until Christmas when I become the official bow maker for the Christmas wreath making season.
- Start building my retirement biz (Fanciful Things, LLC). Where I am primarily a maker of finished knit and crochet items that I sell only locally at this point. The greenhouse has a gift shop and that’s where I’m selling right now. I also do a little bit of designing. At this point I haven’t released any patterns, they’ve just been for my own use. Maybe that will change later on.
- And then, there’s yarnybookkeeper.com……
Even with all these other things that I’m involved in, it seems that no matter what I do
– bookkeeping is involved in one way or another, LOL. I’ve been involved in bookkeeping since I was a teenager (and I’ve been involved in bookkeeping in one way or another for about 3/4 of my life). At this point, I just don’t even bother to fight it any more, it’s just part of who I am and what I do.
Numbers are just a part of my life, whether it’s bookkeeping or counting rows and stitches – it’s all about keeping track of the numbers.
As you all see here on this site, I write a lot of posts about bookkeeping and other behind the scenes stuff that’s involved in running a business – not just a handmade or creative business – but any business. I hope you have and will continue to find these articles useful.
So, here’s that sneak peak about what you can expect to see in the VERY near future….
yarnybookkeepr.com is going to start offering webinars & courses –
- No, not those $1,000.00 or $2,000.00 courses that you see all around the web.
- But, affordable courses – roughly $100.00 for a 2 hour course, that you have lifetime access to.
- There will be some more expensive, more intense courses too that will have a higher price tag, but I’m not looking to charge a grand or two for them.
I’m working on creating a “school” for the bookkeeping courses
I’ve been doing research on the various course platforms (Thinkific, Teachable, Kajabi, etc.) over the last almost two years, while I’ve toyed with the idea of courses.
This week has been my “sh*t or get off the pot” week.
- Monday, I signed up for a free trial of Teachable and gave that a test run
- Tuesday, I signed up for a free trial of Thinkific
- Kajabi is just totally out of my price range – UNLESS – I charge the grand for my courses
- By Wednesday, I made a decision……..
I’m opening a Thinkific school!
Now don’t go getting all crazy on me —– it’s going to be quite an undertaking to get the course materials into the Thinkific platform! Especially with all the other things that I have my fingers into. It will probably be fall (September) before any of them go live. It might be sooner, but I won’t make any promises!
You may be wondering WHY I’m opening a Thinkific school…..
Well, it’s the same reason that I started yarnybookkeeper.com to begin with. I’m SO TIRED of seeing really bad bookkeeping information out there for handmade or creative business owners.
Most of the bookkeeping information that I see is being provided by people who are NOT BOOKKEEPERS. It’s only half correct, way off base, or contains just enough to make you feel like they know what they are doing. For the most part they don’t.
People who do not have a strong bookkeeping and accounting background should NOT be teaching bookkeeping or offering bookkeeping advice.
I have my first 3 courses drafted – they just need to be finalized and to be put into the “school”.
- Designing a bookkeeping system for your handmade/creative biz
- Pricing, Profit, Production & Paying yourself
- The full 10+ hour, 10 section course ……. 10 things EVERY handmade & creative business owner should know (based on the free video you can find here)
So, if things here on the blog are a little slow, don’t think I’ve disappeared or given up. It just means I’m up to my elbows in things that I have going on.
Until next time – Happy Creativity!